According to the State Entrepreneurship Index released by University of Nebraska on October 1st, Florida ranked number-35 in the Nation in Entrepreneurship (in 2011).
The five components of the State Entrepreneurship Index are:
- Percent growth in employer establishments
- Percent growth in employer establishments per person
- Business formation rate (i.e, establishment births per person)
- Patents per thousand persons
- Average income per non-farm proprietor
Massachusetts was the highest ranked state in 2011, defending it’s 2010 spot.
Florida had a high business formation rate, number-3 in the nation, only dropping one spot (Number 2 in 2010). However when other criteria of the State Entrepreneurship Index applied, the Florida ranked 35 overall in 2011. When it comes to income generated (in terms of business income per non-farm proprietor) Florida was number 49 in the nation, which is quite disappointing and concerning.
Complete study can be viewed/downloaded below.
PDF: 2011 STATE ENTREPRENEURSHIP INDEX